Town of Brookeville
Commissioners Meeting Minutes
July 10, 2017
Present: Buck Bartley, Sue Daley, and Jeff Johnson
Quorum present? Yes
present during all or portions of the meeting:
Town Clerk Cate McDonald, Property Manager Andrea Scanlon, and Events Manager Brooke Curley
Town Residents: none
Others: Dan Graham, local area resident; Office Katie Beard
Meeting called to order at 7:00 p.m. by Commissioner Sue Daley.
- Office Katie Beard, Community Service Officer for Montgomery County Police (4th District) introduced herself and gave an overview of her job in our community. The Town Commissioners would like Officer Beard to call upon the Town if there are situations that the Town can help with: hosting a collection drive, use of the Academy for a community event.
- Dan Graham, a local area resident employed by Verizon, is an armature metal detector. He would like his contact information sent around to the Town in case Residents are interested in finding goodies on their property. The Commissioners will have his contact information in the upcoming Times.
ROUTINE TOWN BUSINESS:
Website: the Town’s website is being updated and redesigned. The new front page was reviewed.
Minutes: The June Meeting minutes were approved, as edited.
Financial: The year-end FY 2016-2017 budget to actuals was reviewed and discussed.
How to educate Residents about how the decrease in Town tax revenue will affect the future Town expenditures was discussed. Also, a line item to put a certain percentage into the reserves was discussed for unexpected expenditures.
Academy Rental Update: Events Manager Reports
- June was a busy rental month
- Events Manager will post flyers around Town to help increase rentals
- A lot of people request to come in early to set up prior to their event; Events Manager has been charging an extra fee of $150 for early access.
- Events Manager will look into social media as a way to advertise rentals.
- Drama Camp of MoCo will be using the Academy the last week in July
- Chabad of Olney extended their contract for Hebrew School.
- The Commissioners asked the Events Manager to thinks of ways to engage the Town Residents with events at the Academy
- The Town will not participate in NNO on Aug. 1 but will donate a rental for the raffle.
- The Town Commissioners will make an appointment with Suellen Ferguson of Council Baradel to review the current Town Charter and discuss updates. Also, the procedure to change Zoning will be reviewed.
- Commissioner Johnson has not heard back from MoCo Housing Code Inspector regarding 309/311 Market St. This will be a lengthy process and may be until the end of the year before any action.
- The proposed redevelopment of the Inn at Brookeville was discussed.
- Heritage Days 2017 was successful. The Academy has been blocked for Heritage Days weekend 2018.
AcademyProperty Manager Reports
- Academy Roof: No new bids have been received. Property Manager will approach MHT about the roof and lawn and ask about grant money.
- Kitchen: will need to have GFI installed; purchase a shelf for the new microwave; will look at new refrigerators.
Schoolhouse: Property Manager Reports
- The trees that were tagged to be removed from the Schoolhouse lot are gone; the 2 silver maples adjacent to 209 Market St have been pruned. Also, some bushes and trees were trimmed along the Market Street sidewalks.
- Property Manager is getting cleaned up tomorrow, and she will get a quote about normal lot maintenance.
- Floor refinishing and exterior painting are in the quote process.
Streetlights: the electrician has received the parts and will begin repair work to the Town’s streetlights at the end of the month.
Eastern Market Street: Manfred will give a price quote for repair work for eastern Market Street’s pothole repair.
Commissioner Bartley will talk to SHA about sidewalks and pothole repairs to High Streets. Also, what options does the Town have to modify the streets that are more pedestrian friendly (modify the speed limit, crosswalks).
Grant money for Schoolhouse: Heritage Montgomery did not receive grant money from MHT for the capital improvements to the Schoolhouse. The current plan is for the Town to pay for the capital improvements, and Heritage Montgomery will apply for another grant for the educational program.
Next SHA meeting is July 20th from 1:00pm – 3:00pm.
Next BPC meeting – Tuesday, August 1
Next Commissioners Meeting – September 11
Town picnic – September 17
LGIT: the Town did not receive the Loss Control Credit for FY 2018. The Commissioners reviewed the letter from LGIT regarding Loss Control Survey recommendations. Since Brookeville is a tiny Town, some items are not feasible. The discount offered is not a significant amount. The Town Clerk will look at what suggested items are workable for the Town.
The meeting adjourned at 9:05pm