July 14, 2008
Present: Commissioner Michael Acierno, Commissioner Robert Heritage, Commissioner Katherine Farquher, Treasurer Susan Johnson, Clerk Cate McDonald, Academy Manager Andrea Scanlon, Gazette Reporter Terri Hogan, town residents
Brookeville Energy Advisory Committee (BEAC) presented their findings regarding the Academy’s HVAC.
Commissioner Acierno reports:
- CELP requires 7 year payback; using CELP for geothermal system cannot be used since we cannot meet the 7 year payback requirement, would need to use commercial loan at higher interest rate
- Town will receive less money from State for road maintenance
- Economic times are not well and Town needs to conserve reserve fund
- Not enough time to apply for loan and permits before start of winter, therefore Academy will be without heat
Town will request bids to replace / repair existing heating system with work completed before winter: estimated cost $5000
BEAC is working on the following:
- Expenditure / environment benefits of purchasing wind power from Pepco. BEAC needs clarification from Pepco how the wind energy program is managed.
- Determine anonymous, voluntary way to audit Town Resident energy use and offer tips on way to reduce / reuse / recycle
- Find and report low tech ways to reduce energy consumption
- Reduce light pollution by using lamp hoods; would be able to use lower wattage bulbs to reduce energy consumption
- Consultant to perform energy audit
Town meeting adjourned 9:00 p.m.
Present: Commissioner Michael Acierno, Commissioner Robert Heritage, Commissioner Katherine Farquhar, Treasure Susan Johnson, Clerk Cate McDonald, Academy Manager Andrea Scanlon, Gazette Reporter Terri Hogan
Minutes: June’s Commissioners Minutes were approved
Financial Report: The June financial report was reviewed
FY 2008-2009 Budget: approved and signed
Audit: FY 2008 audit will cost $5500. Audit document not signed due to typo; Treasurer will request corrected copy
Meeting: Commissioners will meet with Councilman Mike Knapp and Del. Karen Montgomery July 31 at 7:00 p.m. to discuss funding of Market St repair and reducing traffic and speed in Town and various issues that effect the Town
HVAC: Town will repair current heating system; Academy Manager will request bids
Academy maintenance: will hold off any major maintenance (painting, floor finishing) until after HVAC cost is determined; ok to replace a worn table
Academy rentals: Commissioners approved updated rental contracts with minor corrections. Commissioners requested Academy Manager to draw up recommendations to improve facilities to increase rentals; Commissioners will wait to approve rental rate increases until they review recommendations. Jeff Issokson requested to add Monday from 3:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. in addition to his 3 day a week long term rentals. Commissioners will wait to make a decision on this request until new rates are determined.
Donation: Commissioners approved $250 monetary donation to National Night Out sponsored by Olney Chamber of Commerce, the Montgomery County Police, the Sandy Spring Volunteer Fire Department, the MD-National Capital Park Police and the Longwood Recreation Center.
Market Street: Clerk requested quote from County contractor Slurry Pavers; Clerk will request additional quotes for pothole repairs
Trash: Waste Management advised they are raising rates
Aug 24: American Legion ceremony will be at 12noon. Town will celebrate occasion with picnic and local entertainment at Academy and Schoolhouse.
Meeting Adjourned 10:35 p.m.