November 8, 2004
ATTENDING: President Richard Allan, Commissioners Robert Heritage and Michael Acierno, and Clerk-Treasurer Susan Johnson. The meeting began at 8:00 p.m. at the Brookeville Academy.
MINUTES: The minutes for October were approved.
FINANCIAL REPORT: The financial report was reviewed and accepted.
REGULAR ORDER OF BUSINESS:
1. Operations and Maintenance – Public Spaces – Ms. Johnson proposed to the commissioners the new furniture that she would like to purchase for the office. The furniture would provide much improved working space and increase efficiency. The commissioners approved the purchase from Ikea. Ms. Johnson also proposed that the commissioners consider acquisition of a new computer to allow for the use of XP and the new task management and web calendar programs that Commissioner Acierno has recommended. There was general agreement. President Allan suggested we delay immediate purchase from Dell pending some additional price drops before the holidays.
2. Sidewalks – President Allan reported that the State Highway Administration contacted him and advised that they were now prepared to fund the Town sidewalk project. Allan indicated that a letter to this effect will be forthcoming.
3. Signs – Ms. Johnson presented a proposal from Bill Cullin who is the designer of the civil war signs used by the State. The commissioners are interested in having him design the Brookeville Schoolhouse, Angel and Millstone signs. They asked Mrs. Johnson to obtain some samples of his work pending a decision on proceeding with a contract.
4. Schoolhouse Restoration – The ceiling drywall has been installed. The insulation has also been installed. The flooring has been ordered and should be delivered in the next two weeks. Once installed, the baseboards will go in and the interior painting can be completed. Light fixtures have been ordered. Pepco will construct the electrical connections and underground wiring on December 14th. President Allan proposed that window shutters be indefinitely deferred due to the cost considerations.
5. Market/High Streets Intersection – President Allan has been in communication with SHA District Engineer Charlie Watkins regarding arranging for an informational meeting for the town residents regarding the proposal for a traffic light. The meeting will be set up for December.
6. Miscellaneous Management Improvement Issues – Commissioner Acierno presented the costs to have a business service through Comcast to use with a separate computer/server. President Allan suggested that alternatives be explored.
7. Montgomery County Chapter MML Meeting – The annual legislative dinner will be held on December 16th at the Golden Bull. President Allan will coordinate with Laytonsville to ensure that all the delegated for District 14 and Senator Rona Kramer are sponsored by Brookeville and Laytonsville.
8. Planning Commission – President Allan asked Mrs. Johnson to check with Planning Commission Chair Chris Scanlon to see if electricity has been turned on to the street lights on Water Street. He also advised that there is a public hearing on the proposed subdivision of the Kirby (formerly Lowder) property located on North Street scheduled for December 14 at 7:30 p.m. Ms. Johnson will place the notice in the Gazette as well as send the information to all the town residents
No new business
The meeting adjourned at 9:45 p.m. The next meeting is scheduled for December 13, 2004 at 8:00 p.m. at the Brookeville Academy.