Town of Brookeville
Annual Town Meeting Minutes
January 22, 2017
Present: Sue Daley, Jeff Johnson, and Bill Gaskill
Quorum present? Yes
Present during all or portions of the meeting:
Town Staff: Town Clerk Cate McDonald, Property Manager Andrea Scanlon, and Events Manager Brooke Curley
Town Residents: Andy & MaryKay Spagnolo, Sandy & Duane Heiler, Debbie Wagner, Micole Haris, Marti Andress, Michael Acierno, Stefan Syski, Terry & Quinn Anderson, Buck Bartley, Bruce Evans, Barbara Ray, Garrett and Beth Anderson, Mark Davis, Todd VanGelder, Arun & Stephanie Deonarain, Chris Scanlon, and Fred Teal.
Others: Judith Hruz, Greater Olney News; Cornelius Barmer and Aimee Zhang from SHA
Meeting called to order at 7:00 p.m. by Commissioner President Daley
Brookeville ByPass Update: Cornelius Barmer and Aimee Zhang
A review of the ByPass Project was presented by Aimee Zhang. Cornelius Barmer and Aimee Zhang answered questions from Town Residents regarding the construction timeline, bid process, and status of the required permits.
Remembering our neighbor, Bob Heritage: Michael Acierno
Michael spoke a few works regarding Bob Heritage, a former Town Clerk-Treasurer and Commissioner, who died in December 2017.
Introductions of New Commissioner & BPC Chair:
- Bill Gaskill was introduced as the new Commissioner.
- Harper Prior was announced as the new BPC Chair
- Former Commissioner Buck Bartley was thanked for all his hard work for the Town over the last several years..
- Andy Spagnolo and Fred Teal were recognized for their work on the BPC.
Town Property Update: Property Manager Andrea Scanlon
- Roof: The Town is applying for an MHT Capital Grant. If awarded, the grant would pay for 50% of the roof replacement cost.
- Lawn: MHT archeologists visited the Academy and gave insight regarding the potential planned upgrades to the Academy’s lawn. The Academy Manager is pursuing grants to cover the cost of this project.
- Kitchen: a new refrigerator is on order
- Acoustics: acoustical testing was performed at the Academy; the Town is awaiting the results and recommendation
- Archeology: the artifacts from the Academy found during renovations will be turned over to MHT for storage and research. These items will still remain the property of the Town.
A status was given of the recent work performed, and work that is scheduled to be executed was given. The Heritage Montgomery grant and Eagle Scout project to update the lot was discussed.
- South: repairs were completed
- North: regarding plans are complete, bids to regrade the road are out, bids to tar & chip the road are being sought. The regrading process is weather dependent and is expected to begin this spring. The plan is to regrade the roadway and wait a few months to make sure the regrading has addressed the drainage issue.
- Market: pothole repairs will be performed as needed
- Water: potholes will be addressed.
Questions & Comments
- Question about sidewalk repairs along Market: to replace all the concrete and asphalt curbs along Market Street will cost tens of thousand dollars. Sidewalks along Market Street will be addressed in the post-ByPass era. The BPC is working on streetscape design for Market Street
- Question about Market St. regrading: one the street is re-graded, new gravel will be laid down. If tar & chip is applied, it will not add to the depth of the roadway to cause a drainage issue.
- Question about SHA’s sidewalk project along High St.: the status of this project is not known.
- a concerned was raised about the increased traffic along North Street when the Schoolhouse is open: there will only be 2-3 handicap parking spots at the schoolhouse. The plan is for cars and buses to use SUMC’s parking lot and have people walk to the Schoolhouse. A mulch path will be added to the Schoolhouse lot for pedestrian traffic.
- A budget update was not available
- Commissioner President Daley thanked Sandy Heiler for all her grant writing this past year on behalf of the Town.
The meeting adjourned at 8:24 p.m.