January 10, 2005
ATTENDING:Â President Richard Allan, Commissioners Michael Acierno and Robert Heritage, and Clerk-Treasurer Susan Johnson. Terri Hogan from the Olney Gazette was also present. The meeting began at 8:00 p.m. at the Brookeville Academy.
MINUTES:Â The minutes for December were approved.
FINANCIAL REPORT:Â The financial report was reviewed and accepted.
REGULAR ORDER OF BUSINESS:
1. Operations and Maintenance â€“ Town MaintenanceÂ â€“ North, South and Water Streets have been re-graveled and are waiting for rolling. President Allan is trying to set up a meeting with Montgomery County Parks Department to discuss the lack of maintenance at the Brookeville Road and Reddy Branch – Georgia Avenue intersection.
2. SchoolhouseÂ â€“ President Allan updated the Commissioners regarding the schoolhouse restoration project. The interior walls and trim have been installed. He reported that the interior painting had to wait for the completion of the electrical work in order to have appropriate heat. The installation of the wood floor would follow. The roof will be painted in the spring – weather permitting. The fire extinguisher will be delivered this week.
3. BypassÂ â€“ Commissioner Acierno has written a model letter for the Town web site that explains how to write a lobbying letter in support of the bypass. It will include the addresses and e-mail addresses of the government and elected officials who should get the letter. Ms. Johnson is working with the Town’s web designer to get a new section posted on the home page to alert users to this area. Notification will also be put it in the newsletter.
4. ArchivesÂ â€“ President Allan delivered the major part of the townâ€™s historic materials archives (non-governmental) to Sandy Spring Museum staff on January 10.
5. Town ElectionÂ â€“ Two Commissioner seats are up for election this year despite the ordinance enacted to provide for annual single seat elections. President Allan asked Commissioner Acierno to review the charter amendment text to see where the error in drafting it was made and to present any corrective recommendations if possible.
6. Planning CommissionÂ â€“ Due to the significant workload of the Planning Commission, the Town Commissioners decided that there should be a part time administrative assistant. Town resident Margaret Van Gelder has been appointed to the position of administrative assistant to the Planning Commission and will begin work as soon as possible. She will attend all meetings, maintain minutes and records of proceedings, update and maintain the files, and be responsible for the building permits process.
7. Miscellaneous Management Improvement Issues â€“
Task ManagementÂ – The Commissioners and Ms. Johnson discussed the current use of the task management system, Flyspray. Everyone who has used the program likes it and agrees it should be used. It was suggested that Ms. Johnson maintain a printed log of Flyspray input that could be made available for review at meetings of the Commissioners.
Resident DirectoryÂ â€“ Commissioner Acierno met with Andrea Barr to discuss the content and planning of the directory. They recommend that a postcard go out in the next newsletter that residents will return with the requested resident information. Commissioner Acierno will get the information that they need to Ms. Johnson and will also check into getting postcards for printing.
Web SiteÂ â€“ President Allan stated that he would like Ms. Johnson to check into having back news articles form local papers linked to the Town web site.
Maryland Municipal LeagueÂ – President Allan attended the MML Montgomery Chapter Legislative Dinner. He will also be attending the Maryland Mayors’ Association Winter Conference in Annapolis in February. This event includes a reception with Governor Robert Ehrlich. .
The meeting adjourned at 9:45 p.m. The next meeting is scheduled for February 14, 2004 at 8:00 p.m. at the Brookeville Academy.