Town of Brookeville
Commissioners Meeting Minutes
April 13 & 23, 2015
Present:Â Katherine Farquhar, Buck Bartley, Sue Daley
April 13th Meeting: 6:10 PM; ended 6:50 PM
- Town Spring Cleanup = 8-11, AM June 6th (10 for Strawberry Festival volunteers)
- Dumpster by Schoolhouse; plant flowers around Brookeville signs; other tidying tasks such as weeding Academy front walk & steps.
- Hole at Market & North â€“ Buck will contact WSSC and may take immediate action = orange cone.
- Street Gutter Cleaning:Â Buck will contact SHA to see if they can get this done
- Update re: Bypass from Sue â€“ optimism is warranted; agencies/players working more closely together. Sense of progress is clear.Â There is a calendar.
- PEPCO: Chris Scanlon reported on the tree removal/trimming process;Â HAWP
process is being followed, residents are being notified by PEPCO contractor
- Landscapers:Â for Heiler Hill;Â $350 was allocated to help with work to stabilize hillside;Â Susan J. will be consulted
- Quick review of Academy Rental/Maintenance report was done
- Dennis Bogan gets contract for Academy Alarm System
- Approved March Commissioner Meeting Minutes as revised
- Exterior light & Walkway deferred
- Schoolhouse Dehumidification: Andrea will bring back to April 23rd meeting as is awaiting better proposal.
- Property Tax vote deferred to April 23 meeting
No update on SHA/County estimate for Market Street resurfacing; Buck is in contact
Deferred:Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Our House (Debbie Wâ€™s wall)
Budget Report (Susan not here)
April 13 Minutes reviewed & approved by unanimous vote.Â Â 4/20
April 23 Supplemental Meeting:
Present:Â Katherine Farquhar, Buck Bartley, Sue Daley, Andrea Scanlon & Susan Johnson (2nd Â½ of meeting)
Not here: Diane Teague
Residents:Â Barbara Ray, Sandy Heiler, Miche Booz
ROUTINE TOWN BUSINESS:
- Review/Approve April 13 minutes – done.
- Budget update: Receive and review and discuss budget report (Susan J.)
Susan presented the finances; Commissioners discussed status; bottom line â€“ budgeted 329K, will have final working figures by mid-May.
Commissioners and staff are starting to make a list of items needed for next year. Â Andrea will make a starter-list of Academy/town property items.Â Â Susan needs these lists by May 1st if possible.Â Â Susan will meet with the Commissioners and workshop with Katherine in preparation for the Town Meeting on June 1st.
- Town Property
- Exterior Light:Â Discussion, metal or wood?
Sandy Heiler notes: Cast Iron is likely not acceptable to HPC nor is change of materials so it will need to be wood.
Cost:Â Â Â New $425-950.
Refurbished $250+$100 shipping does include dusk-dawn sensor and frosted glass,
Pros and cons of each were discussed.
- Handicap Door update:Â HAWP?Â Scheduled?Â Cost? Andrea requests issue to be deferred to next FY. Â Â Buck will get cost information for the work based on what they did at the Church. Rough estimate = $3000.Â The new door will require a HAWP.Â Â Overload for Academy Manager in this FY.
- Walkway:Â By the May Commissioners meeting:Â Â 2nd bid for walkway will be presented and voted on to cover specific brick (#, color, sample â€“ Sandy & Miche = Brick Team) replacement as alternative to resetting the current brick (bid #1) and the cost for materials and labor for this.Â Â Â Andrea will find place to stack (vs. dispose) of the current bricks if we vote for option 2
- School House dehumidification, other needed repairs: Moldstoppers & HVAC contractors being considered for the next process: long term dehumidification. Temporary dehumidifiers running now; mold removal & installation of vapor barriers etc are done.
- Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â i.Â Â Â Â Repairs to roof must be budgeted for:
- ridge, flashing by chimney and the standing seams
- Â different brackets for the gutters/snow guards.
- Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â ii.Â Â Â Â We also need to do the grading HAWP and the water diversion strategies for the North Side, and assess and get a price for replacement of rotting wood siding.
- Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â iii.Â Â Â Â We have a price now we are just vetting this.Â Â Must get price estimates to Susan J. by May 1st so that we have in budget.
- 14 households (28%) participated in the April 13 Town Forum (â€œHearing Brookevilleâ€™s Prioritiesâ€).Â Â Teal, Davis, Heiler, Andress-Johnson, Moore, Syski (Also L. Syski), Farquhar, McDonald, Anderson, Bartley, Scanlon, Ray, Wheeler.Â Â Summary report to appear in Brookeville Times.
- 4 discussion groups produced notes that will be given to the proposed Bypass Task Force:Â Academy-Schoolhouse, Town Services, Town Government, Group E.
- Key points:Â Participating households want 2 Town Meetings/year and BPC present with the Commissioners
- Greater clarity on budget & Town finances is soughtâ€“ on expenditures, priorities, status of our funds
- Workshops:Â Master Plan (familiarize Town with), HAWP Process, Building Stone Walls, History, schoolhouses, Historic District.
- Gatherings: 2 TM/s year, Dinners and other activities for community & fund-raising;
- Question raised about 501 c3 for Brookeville
- Great deal of discussion about Market Street â€“ reconditioning it.
- Surface of the townâ€™s roads:Â North, Water, South
- Special Issues/VOTES:
- Gravel Roads â€“ summer repairs: Buck is talking with Neil and will give a proposal to Susan. Will walk the gravel roads before finalizing contract.Â Â Usually is $1965 X 2.Â Â Â Considering whether to do alternative surfacing.Â Â Buck will update us.
- Our House: Remove Angel Base, fill sinkhole, repair Debbie Wagner stone wallÂ Â Deferred to June.
- Academy Roof â€“Research: Â Deferred to June.
- Market Street update by Buck â€“ will get county to come out.Â Has been talking with WSSC about getting them to do 90-(2400)â€™ of the refurbishment.Â Â Thanks to Buck .
- The Heiler Hill:Â Susan J. will get a bid (hill, cemetery) to clean it up and 1X/month for the summer to maintain.
- Town Forum (â€œHearing Brookevilleâ€™s Prioritiesâ€):
- Motion (Farquhar) unanimous approval voted: Â To establish the “Brookeville Beyond the Bypass Task Force” to be chaired by Don Moore and to include 6-7 members including 1 Commissioner and 1 Brookeville Planning Commission member plus others with consideration for geographic and generational diversity. Â The purpose of this Task Force: Â Ready the Town for its next era, beyond the Bypass. This is the approved wording.
- Motion (Farquhar) unanimous approval voted: That the Town of Brookeville increase its tax rate from .015/$100 of assessed real property value to .020/$100 of assessed value, for a period including the 2016 and 2017 tax years. Â Academy roof, funds needed to ameliorate Academy â€“ and pay for the Town after the Bypass.
- Motion (Farquhar):Â That the Commissioners authorize a budget item for expert consultants/resources as needed:Â Â highway/sidewalk engineering;Â historical interiors;Â municipal attorney;Â architecture/materials, etc.Â Â Â Â Amount to be discussed. Not considered
- Other needed actions/motions/items for future agendas? Didnâ€™t get to this
- Katherine: Â Town Charter Revision in FY 2016?
Deferred to June.
- Material for Brookeville Times?
COMMIT TO OLNEY COC SCHOLARSHIP FUND @ SAME AS LAST YEAR
COMMIT $100 TO STRAWBERRY FESTIVAL WILL GIVE US LOGO IN THE PRINT MATERIALS
Move to Adjourn: 9:15 pm
Respectfully submitted by: Katherine Farquhar